The Generations of Life Community Bereavement Resource Center, a service of Hospice of Miami County, is seeking for compassionate volunteers to assist with a five-day summer camp for grieving children and teens entering grades K-12. Children/teens experience traditional camp activities and recreation along with bereavement education and activities geared to help them process their grief.
The camp is offered free of charge to children in the Miami County area who have experienced the death of someone important to them. 2016’s grief camp will be held at the Ludlow Falls Camp, 2535 S. Rt. 48, Ludlow Falls, Ohio from June 13-17, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Volunteers play an important role at camp as Group Leaders and Camp Companions. A Camp Companion is assigned to one or two children throughout the duration of camp. A Camp Companion stays with the child throughout the day and serves as someone safe for the child to talk, play, laugh, or cry with.
To be a volunteer, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to be present at camp from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., June 13-17
- Complete an application with four full references and be interviewed
- Be fingerprinted and submit to a background check ($30 is refunded to you upon completion of your participation in camp)
- Attend two training sessions at the Generations of Life Center, 550 Summit Ave., Troy, Ohio from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on May 17 and June 7.
It is important that applications with references be submitted by April 1, 2016.
If you are interested, please contact Pam Linderson at (937) 573-2103 or email@example.com, or stop by the office for an application at 550 Summit Ave., Troy, Ohio.